Marissa's junior high school went into lockdown again today! The second time in one month! Good grief! This time, rumor has it, a boy who goes to the school and has been in trouble with the law before, made bomb threats to the school. So they evacuated all the kids while the police came to arrest this boy, and search the school for a bomb. No bomb was found, the boy is expelled. I say it is rumor, because the school, and the news are very vague, and don't really tell us anything. I think the letter to parents said something like "there was an incident at the school today, causing us to take precautions, but all is well". And the news on tv wasn't much better. (I tried something new, if you click on the title to this entry, it should take you to the news clip with this story).
A couple of weeks ago the school was locked down because one of the boys was suicidal and allegedly had a weapon - either a knife or a gun. So again the police had to come.
Right before Christmas Marissa came out of school to see multiple fire trucks across the road, and one of the condos engulfed in flames. The next day, the kids were locked in the school while the police investigated a shooting (a man was shot in the stomach multiple times) across the street. It was actually next door the house the burned the day before. Hmmm, wonder if those two are related??
I'm starting to feel like I'm sending my little girl out to school in the projects of Harlem, or at least Forest Lawn.
What's a mom to do???
Marissa still has one year left of junior high, and Emma and Erica are coming close behind. The next closest school would involve me driving them to and from school every day, and to be honest, I don't know if it's a good school either. How do you know if a school is 'good' or not?
What would you do???
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
Home school is always a possibility?! I'd have to think long and hard about that one, though. I'm surprised to hear about so much action at a Jr high, usually the high school takes care of that kind of thing. Are the teachers any good where she's at? Good friends? Those would be the main things, for me, that would influence the decision to stay. Good luck with that one!
I would probably consider other options as to may another school. Even if it was a drive away. Scary experiences! You deserve to be a mother bear right now!
Shocking!!!
I have heard that Nickle is good, but you are right, how do you know for sure before you commit to the daily drive? (I do know of one junior high that I think is quite remarkable, and I think Emma would really thrive there. However, the 8th grade has serious girl problems - not a socially positive environment for Missy.)
Such a scary world we live in. How is Marissa dealing with it?
I am fine. I love grade 8 but I hate my school. Good thing our principal is leaving...
don't send me there! it's to scary
Post a Comment